Registration-redux styling with crispy forms

I’m looking to style my registration forms, crispy forms has been recommended on stackoverflow, I’ve been looking at the crispy docs and it works with a couple of frameworks, but not Yahoo Pure, which is the framework I’m using. It suggests a specific form framework called uni-form, but I’m struggling with the uni-form docs.

Has anyone else been through the redux CSS issue? Did you manage it without using bootstrap?

I understand that if I can get to the forms.py equivalent in redux then I can edit the def to add styling myself without having to use crispy forms, does anyone have any idea where the redux form.py files are in my project?

Which issue do you mean?

Also, what styling did you want?

Hi Limedaring,

When I use registration-redux I’m not able to determine any CSS styling on the input elements of my form because it just uses

{{ form.as_p }}

and there’s no place to put my class="mycss" attributes.

Posts on stack overflow recommend using Crispy Forms, but I was hoping that there might be another way…

w

Here’s a screenshot…

you can see I’ve managed to style around the form, but not the form itself.

w

Ah got it. :) FYI I’ve never used crispy forms as I’ve always rolled my own solution — crispy forms seemed a bit over engineered but I could be wrong.

If you’re looking for a better form layout, you can create a template include (https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.9/ref/templates/builtins/#include) and have a form with better fields on it than using the as_p shortcut. It’s what I do for my startup. For example:

contact.html

<form action="" method="post">
    {% csrf_token %}
    {% include 'shared/includes/form.html' with form=form %}
    <input type="submit" value="Submit" class="btn btn-lg btn-primary"/>
</form>

form.html

{% if form.errors %}
    <div class="alert alert-danger">
        <p class="text-danger">Please correct the errors below!</p>
    </div>
{% endif %}
{% if form.non_field_errors %}
    <div class="alert alert-danger">
    {% for error in form.non_field_errors %}
        <p>{{ error|escape }}</p>
    {% endfor %}
    </div>
{% endif %}

{% for field in form %}
    {% if field.is_hidden %}
        {{ field }}
    {% else %}
    <div class="form-group {% if field.errors %}has-error{% endif %}" id="group_{{ field.name }}">
            <label for="id_{{ field.name }}" class="control-label">{{ field.label }}</label>

{{ field }}

{% if field.errors %}
                {% for error in field.errors %}
                <p class="help-block"><span class="text-danger">{{ error|escape }}</span></p>
                {% endfor %}
            {% endif %}

{% if field.help_text %}
                <p class="help-block">{{ field.help_text }}</p>
            {% endif %}
        </div>
    {% endif %}
{% endfor %}

The above is so it’s in a “bootstrap-y” layout so I can take advantage of Bootstrap’s styling.

Sometimes when I need to completely overhaul a form, I’ll actually just put in the HTML straight. Screenshot from my code: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w48m00f9yi5iv0k/Screenshot%202016-04-02%2013.08.38.png?dl=0

You just need to know what the form fields are being put in by django, so what I usually do is put it in the template as as_p, then I look at the source, grab the HTML output, and then put that in my templates, adding the Django variables as needed. Example for one field:

<div id="directory_select" class="form-group {% if form.directory.errors %}has-error{% endif %}">
    <label class="control-label" for="id_directory">
        Vendor category:
    </label>
    <div class="controls">
        {{ form.directory }}
        {% if form.directory.errors %}
            {% for error in form.directory.errors %}
                <span class="help-inline text-danger">{{ error|escape }}</span>
            {% endfor %}
        {% endif %}
    </div>
</div>

Let me know if that helps or if you need more explanation! :) At the very least, don’t forget you could add a unique class to your form and then target the fields within without having to change the HTML too.

Formatting Registration Redux Form

Limedaring,

That’s just the information I needed thank you. I’m going to bow to the pressure of using bootstrap and roll back my CSS and start again with bootstrap, its a pain, but at least then I can confidently complete your tutorial (and others) on front end stuff, so I think it will be quicker in the long-run.

– Heads off to learn about GULP, SASS & bootstrap.

It’ll be a couple of days before I get back to doing the template includes I suspect.

w

I’ve hit a small snag, which is that I can’t seem to format the actual input classes, so I’ve used your form.html as a boilerplate and it has made a massive improvement (thank you), but if I try and wrap any attributes around the {{ field }} tag then I get some unpredictable results. For example:

<div class="form-group {% if field.errors %}has-error{% endif %}" id="group_{{ field.name }}">
    <label for="id_{{ field.name }}" class="oo-control-label oo-roboto-override">{{ field.label }}</label>
    <input class="form-control">{{ field }}</input>

generates, two sets of forms.

Wrapping in a <div class="form-control"></div> tag creates an input within and input…

Any ideas?

Can you paste the outputted HTML (by looking at the source of the website) into paste bin? Would like to see what’s going on behind the scenes. :)

Hi Limedaring,

Sorry for the wait here it is. Any CSS classes starting ‘oo-’ have been added by me.

W.

<div class="container">
<div class="row oo-landing-header">
    <div class="col-xs-12 col-lg-6 col-lg-offset-3 oo-thin-box">
        <h1>Registration form</h1>
        <hr></hr>
        <form role="form" action="" method="post">
            <fieldset class="form-group">
                <input type='hidden' name='csrfmiddlewaretoken' value='tokencode' />

<div class="form-group " id="group_username">
        <label for="id_username" class="oo-control-label oo-roboto-override">Username</label>

<input class="form-control"><input id="id_username" maxlength="30" name="username" type="text" /></div>

<p class="oo-help-block oo-roboto-override">Required. 30 characters or fewer. Letters, digits and @/./+/-/_ only.</p>

</input>

<div class="form-group " id="group_email">
        <label for="id_email" class="oo-control-label oo-roboto-override">E-mail</label>

<input class="form-control"><input id="id_email" name="email" type="email" /></div>

</input>

<div class="form-group " id="group_password1">
        <label for="id_password1" class="oo-control-label oo-roboto-override">Password</label>

<input class="form-control"><input id="id_password1" name="password1" type="password" /></div>

</input>

<div class="form-group " id="group_password2">
        <label for="id_password2" class="oo-control-label oo-roboto-override">Password confirmation</label>

<input class="form-control"><input id="id_password2" name="password2" type="password" /></div>

<p class="oo-help-block oo-roboto-override">Enter the same password as before, for verification.</p>

</input>

<input type="submit" value="Submit" class="btn btn-success"/>
            </fieldset>
        </form>
	</div>
</div>

It looks like your HTML might be causing problems, you close the </div> before you close the </input>. Maybe try closing them in the order they’re opened and see what happens?