Reset Email links coming from "example.com" and not localhost

NOTE before reading this - I had to update the ‘@’ symbols with ‘AT’ because the site won’t let me ‘mention’ more than 2 users… just assume where I have AT that it is an @

Going through the "Adding A Registration Page’ chapter and have everything almost working but…

For some reason the reset link that I get directs me to example.com instead of localhost. I can’t figure out why, its not adding up for me. I tried a number of things and the only relation to example.com that I can see is the ‘fake’ email address that I’m trying to reset is 123testATexample.com. Here is the .txt file - exactly as what is in the book:

{% autoescape off %}
You’re receiving this email because you requested a password reset.

Please go to the following page and choose a new password:
{% block reset_link %}{{ protocol }}://localhost:8000{% url
’django.contrib.auth.views.password_reset_confirm’ uidb64=uid token=token %}
{% endblock %}

Your username, in case you’ve forgotten: {{ user.username }}
{% endautoescape %}

And here is the email I receive:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Subject: Password reset on example.com
To: 123testATexample.com
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2017 20:58:51 -0000
Message-ID: <20170909205851.6986.2651ATtotum>

You’re receiving this email because you requested a password reset for your user account at example.com.

Please go to the following page and choose a new password:

http://example.com/accounts/password/reset/Nw/4pb-a017b169f91765cbbe5d/

Your username, in case you’ve forgotten: 123test

Thanks for using our site!

The example.com team

You can see it says its coming from the “example.com team” and link contains http://example.com/,,,,, and not http://localhost:8000… which I would expect. The link works if I replace the ‘example.com’ portion with ‘localhost:8000’ and I’m able to complete the reset process. But why is it giving me an example.com web address at all??? It has me kind of baffeld…

Here’s my settings.py :

EMAIL_BACKEND = 'django.core.mail.backends.console.EmailBackend’
DEFAULT_FROM_EMAIL = 'testingATexample.com
EMAIL_HOST_USER = ''
EMAIL_HOST_PASSWORD = ''
EMAIL_USE_TLS = False
LOGIN_REDIRECT_URL = "home"
EMAIL_PORT = 1025

***Notes - I’ve tried a number of things like setting an additional line to EMAIL_HOST = ‘127.0.0.1:8000’ and ‘localhost:8000’ (and without the ‘8000’ piece. Seemed to have no effect either way with or without.
Also changed my DEFAULT_FROM_EMAIL to ‘testingATlocalhost.com’ (just to get rid of the reference of example.com) had no affect.
Cleared cache
A couple of other things…

I’m not too to concerned with it because I can simply edit the link and stick in ‘localhost:8000’ where example.com is and continue…but would like to know what is happening so when I come back to this for my own page I won’t run into again.

Oh hey, I forgot that Django does this wonky thing!

Head into your Django admin and go to “Sites” and update the entry there (which should be example.com) to your website. That should solve the issue. :)