Greetings from the 20th Century

Hi, my name is Joe and it’s been 23 years since my first web site. Up to now, I’ve used vi as my development environment, and CGI scripts in C and Perl for dynamic content. The old-school system works fine, but one day I noticed that I had no idea what real web developers were talking about. I bought Tracy’s book and started working through it to try and catch up. New things to me: Python, Git, Django, which means I’ll be exploring the stranger reaches of error-space.

Here’s where this kind of time-travel gets disturbing: It kind of bothers me, not controlling everything. To build a web site this way, I have to trust a huge invisible army of programmers, all of whom are constantly warning me that their software is insecure and needs to be updated. Even though I started working my way through HWA within a week of the publication of the e-book, the software I’m learning has changed. So what have I really learned? (Well, I’ve learned that “from django.urls import path” works better than “from django.conf.urls import path”.)

However, this is a pretty high level of complaint from someone who’s still just a week into grasping that white space can be mis-formatted. Kudos to Tracy for writing a book so clear that I can blaze through it so easily!

Ha. I understand. Isn’t new technology fun? :P