<p>I am a basic website.</p>
    </body>
</html>

style.css

body
{
    background-color: cornflowerblue;
}

In my index.html file I’ve tried the href relative path both with and without ../static/. Any ideas? I know the focus here is on python and django but I can’t move forward as long as this simple problem stays in my way.

What does your HTML look like in the browser? (View source in the browser, look at the outputted code.) AKA, what gets put there as the link by Django?

index.html

{% load staticfiles %}

<!doctype html>
<html>
    <head>
        <title>My Hello Web App</title>
        <link rel='stylesheet' href="{% static 'css/style.css' %}" />
    </head>
    <body>
        <h1>Hello World!</h1>
    </body>
</html>

Source in browser

<!doctype html>
<html>
	<head>
		<title>My Hello Web App</title>
		<link rel='stylesheet' href="/static/css/style.css" />
	</head>
	<body>
		<h1>Hello World!</h1>
	</body>
</html>

Any ideas? When I see /static/css/style.css it makes me think that it’s using an absolute path all the way from the root / directory, and if that’s is the case then that path doesn’t even exist. But I don’t much about Django, Does Django consider the leading / to be the root of the web directory?

Is style.css in the /static/css/ directory under your app (named “collection” in HWA)?

It is indeed.

user@mothership css $ pwd
/home/user/projects/learningCenter/django-projects/helloworldapp/collection/static/css
user@mothership css $ ls -l
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 user user 34 Dec 24 16:33 style.css
user@mothership css $

Ugh due to holidays I have mush brain.

Just noticed your template code has
<link rel='stylesheet' href="{% static '../static/css/style.css' %}" />

When it should be this:

If that doesn’t fix the problem, go through the rest of your code and see if there are any more differences between the book and your code. :) You can also see the code here: https://github.com/hellowebapp/hellowebapp-code/ (change the chapter under the “branch” button.

On the bottom of my first post on this tread I did mention that I tried it with and without the `…/static/’. Neither way is working.

Can you upload your current code (matching the book, so make sure to remove the …/static/ part) to a public github repo so I can check everything?

I think there’s some caching going on. I had the same issue and the CSS only started to be applied after I restarted the server.