Can't install Pillow

Hi all,

I am trying to add images links to my database, and I have figured out that I need to use Pillow. When I try to use pip to install it, however, I get the following error:

ValueError: --enable-jpeg requested but jpeg not found, aborting.

After some serious googling, I think it is telling me that I need certain libraries that for whatever reason aren’t being installed with Pillow and don’t already exist on my machine. If so, how do I figure out which ones and how do I install them?

Thank you!!

Hi! Are you following the procedure in Hello Web App: Intermediate Concepts, or working on your own? (Am confused by your “I have figured out that I need to use Pillow” part!)

Hello! I am working through the Intermediate Concepts book. Sorry that wasn’t clear!

So any ideas about how to get Pillow installed? I’ve read a bunch of SO questions and answers, but I don’t know enough code to implement the solutions…

Thanks!

Sorry I didn’t get to your other question quickly, I’m working this morning.

Are you on PC or Mac?

Oh, no rush. I just wasn’t sure if you’d seen it.

I’m on a Mac OS 10.7.5 using the Terminal to install.

Hi,

Checking back in as I haven’t figured out how to install Pillow (or maybe just specific libraries?), and I can’t move forward with the image tutorial without it.

Thanks,
Sarah

Sorry out of town at the moment.

You’re working in a virtual environment, right?

No problem. Yes, I have followed all the setup instructions from the first tutorial, and I am in a virtual environment. Here are all the errors and messages I am seeing during one install attempt, in the order they are printed (some appear more than once). Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot?

Thank you!

warning: no previously-included files found matching '.editorconfig'
Installing collected packages: Pillow

ValueError: jpeg is required unless explicitly disabled using --disable-jpeg, aborting

warning: manifest_maker: standard file '-c' not found

warning: no previously-included files found matching '.editorconfig'

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<string>", line 1, in <module>

File "/Users/sarahdawson/projects/pollstutorial/venv/build/Pillow/setup.py", line 767, in <module>

zip_safe=not debug_build(),

File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/distutils/core.py", line 152, in setup

dist.run_commands()

File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py", line 953, in run_commands

self.run_command(cmd)

File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py", line 972, in run_command

cmd_obj.run()

File "/Users/sarahdawson/projects/pollstutorial/venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools/command/install.py", line 54, in run

return _install.run(self)

File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/distutils/command/install.py", line 573, in run

self.run_command('build')

File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/distutils/cmd.py", line 326, in run_command

self.distribution.run_command(command)

File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py", line 972, in run_command

cmd_obj.run()

File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/distutils/command/build.py", line 127, in run

self.run_command(cmd_name)

File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/distutils/cmd.py", line 326, in run_command

self.distribution.run_command(command)

cmd_obj.run()

File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/distutils/command/build_ext.py", line 340, in run

self.build_extensions()

File "/Users/sarahdawson/projects/pollstutorial/venv/build/Pillow/setup.py", line 516, in build_extensions

(f, f))

ValueError: jpeg is required unless explicitly disabled using --disable-jpeg, aborting

----------------------------------------
Cleaning up...
Command /Users/sarahdawson/projects/pollstutorial/venv/bin/python -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/Users/sarahdawson/projects/pollstutorial/venv/build/Pillow/setup.py';exec(compile(getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__).read().replace('\r\n', '\n'), __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /var/folders/5w/n7mg5z3n0vj0bf55phrhg31m0000gn/T/pip-qOzl5a-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile --install-headers /Users/sarahdawson/projects/pollstutorial/venv/bin/../include/site/python2.7 failed with error code 1 in /Users/sarahdawson/projects/pollstutorial/venv/build/Pillow
Storing debug log for failure in /Users/sarahdawson/.pip/pip.log

Hmmm confusing.

Did you get any errors when you installed XCode? From these instructions: https://github.com/hellowebapp/hellowebapp/blob/master/installation-instructions/python-installation-mac.md

Sounds like some things are missing from XCode (guessing though).

(FYI — I’ll be back from the mountains on Sunday night or Monday, I’ll have to respond more then!)

Hello, just popping by to let you know that I had the same error message in a Ubuntu virtual machine and solved it by installing the “libjpeg8-dev” package.

I do not know what the equivalent step would be under native OS X, but hopefully this gets you one step closer to the solution.

see this ,may be because the Pillow 3.0.0 vesion above needs libjpeg. I have installed libjpeg8-dev first so ,Pillow I can install on Ubuntu no problem